2021 GR Highlights
Legislative & Regulatory
- Filed lawsuit against the City of San Jose regarding Hazard Pay mandates for franchisees, the ordinance was changed to exempt them immediately. This led to other jurisdictions copying this exemption language, further protecting those operators.
- Combatting efforts to broaden the scope of the Underground Storage Tank Cleanup Fund to include brownfield redevelopment at non-petroleum sites. AB753
- Fighting for a square footage based exemption from CalRecycle can and bottle redemption program and supporting other program efficiencies.
- Continuous engagement in budget negotiations surrounding Zero Emission Vehicle and infrastructure funding. Our industry must be provided the same funding as the three large utility companies.
- Ongoing fight against codifying Governor Newsom’s Executive Order banning the sale of Internal Combustion Engines (ICE) and removing powerful mitigation tools such as carbon capture and sequestration (CCS).
- Over 12 months of meetings with the Air Resources Board regarding proposed amendments to the Heavy-Duty Inspection and Maintenance (HDIM) program. These changes include DMV registration holds for non-compliance, roadside monitoring of On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) devices, and duplicative reporting and fees.
- COVID issues including: Paycheck Protection Program deductibility, paid sick leave, CalOSHA rules.
- Closely watching the implementation of recent changes to B20 regulations, mandating a minimum of 55% renewable diesel if there is no additive present. All additives but one were decertified leading to scarcity and high prices.
- Wildfire efforts began early this year, worsening the symptoms of the driver shortage. CFCA has requested waivers for hours-of-services and per-axle weight restrictions.